Inspiration: Martha Jane Pettway

This is the quilt that inspired me to make my green and white linen split log cabin quilt.  The original is in the Quilts of Gee's Bend collection. It is also made of corduroy, which I love in a quilt, but I cannot imagine hand quilting through corduroy.

I think I remember from the show that the corduroy used was leftover scraps from home goods that women in the town were sewing up for a regional department store.  For my version, I used thrift store linen tablecloths and bits of old blue jeans.

PSsst - Click on the link below the Martha Jane Pettway quilt to see some A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. quilts.  You can also see loads of contemporary quilts by clicking on the Blogger's Quilt Festival button below!

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE your quilt. This is incredible. I love what you did with the binding. Thank you so much for sharing your Gee's Bend inspired quilt. You make me want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fabrics and designs of the Gee's Bend quilts are inspiring and I love what you did with yours! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It was so much fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely~nice art work there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Gee's Bends are such good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I saw your thumbnail on the Blogger's Quilt Festival, I knew the exact Gee's Bend quilt that was your inspiration. It's one of my favorites! And I LOVE your interpretation as well. Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work taking one idea and making it your own. I got to see those quilts in an exhibit in Baltimore, MD and it was amazing to see how they used all kinds of fabric to make their quilts. That was when my passion for finding fabrics others were getting rid of was born and now most of all my creative activity is with rescued fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - making something work with fabric that you have, or fabric that has been "rescued" is the most fun - but I find I do still have to run out to the quilt shop from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your quilt and the inspiration. Both are very striking. Kudos on reproducing yet making it your own.

    Come see my antique 1890 schoolhouse quilt
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com/

    or my black/white/pink scrappy miniature
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i sure love your quilt!! nice work!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis