Tools: Vintage Needle Cases

I love antique sewing accessories.  I found this sterling silver needle case in an antique store amongst a jumble of threads that was once someone's sewing kit.
It is sterling silver and embossed with a couple standing facing a castle and a Van Gogh sky.  It's so cool.  When you press the small button on the front, it pops open, like a make-up compact.  That's when all the needles fly out at you.
It's stamped with a patent from Jan. 12, 1904. 

This needle case is hand painted porcelain from Limoge.  It was a gift.  The needles tend to fly out of this one as well.  Flying needles, the price of beauty.

4 comments:

  1. How cool! Too bad they're not magnetic so the needles don't fly out. The things we take for granted .....

    I love wooden spools and I buy them when I find them and keep a big bowl of them in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them, I like the idea of the needles fly out. The color of threads are so gorgeous, it is so privilege to collect these items.

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a collection of wooden spools...maybe I'll show those off in another post! I always make too much quilt binding and the wooden spools are a pretty way to save the binding for the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to say that I'm quite a bit jealous - so beautiful! I'll keep my eyes out for ones of these on the flea-markets! Thanks a lot for these inspiring pictures!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis