Making: Miniature Mania

I adore miniatures. Maybe it's because I never got a Barbie dreamhouse...I don't know. I just love the look of a tiny little things.  Nothing makes me happier than a diorama!

I've been thinking about making some miniature quilts for awhile, but have been too distracted by making my big quilts. However, I came across the book, Little Lonestar Quilts by Lorraine Olsen, and was inspired! 

Little Lonestar Quilts by Lorraine Olsen

It combines three of my favorite things, miniatures, Lonestar quilts, and paper piecing. So, I pulled out my stash of vintage 1930's and 40's scraps and got busy. Here's what I've come up with so far.



I have learned that I definitely want to use dissolving foundation paper on the next little star I make, as I spent far too much time ripping out tiny wee bits of paper on this one.  Also, that if you try to line up a seam and have to rip it out more than 3 times, just live with a little imperfection.

I still need to choose what color fabric I would like for the background on this one.  I'm having a hard time deciding between a sort of linen look neutral, or a solid-ish purple.  What do you think?  I'd love suggestions!

P.S.  If you're miniature obsessed like me, check out my most recent favorite mini's: the miniature interiors of Sabinne Timm and the edible waffle furniture.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's absolutely stunning! I like both ideas for the background, I suppose you could audition your choices first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say purple - especially if it's at least a little darker than the one you already used. It's looking really good! Let us know what you think of dissolvable paper when you try it. I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool and colorful decoration. I love the fact that you made it look native and creative as well.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis